MIDDLEVILLE AND DISTRICT MUSEUM
  • Home
  • Collection
  • Genealogy
  • Events
  • Event Photo Gallery
  • Kid's Corner
  • Journal
  • Educational Resources
  • Donate
  • Volunteering
  • Related Links
  • Contact Us
  • Merchandise

Herron Mills Remains

24/7/2023

0 Comments

 
Picture
an older photograph of the home at Herron's Mills
​The area now known as Herron Mills was originally settled in the 1820's. Among the early settlers was a weaver, James Gillies. whose family was from Banton, Kilsyth Parish, Stirlingshire. He was married to Helen Stark and they settled their family on Lot 10, 5th Concession. The Clyde River flowed nearby and when their eldest son, John, was old enough to own land himself, he settled on Lot 9, Concession 3 with plans to build a mill on the banks of the river. John married Mary Cullen Bain in 1839 and acquired more land. They built a home overlooking the river and mill site. He built a sawmill in 1840 on the west side of his lot and began sawing logs in 1842. On the other side of the river, he erected grist, oatmeal and carding mills. “Settlers brought their lumber for sawing, their grain for grinding, their wool for combing, carding and spinning and a community grew up”. (J McGill, A Pioneer History of the County of Lanark) 
Picture
photo taken on the front veranda of the Herron home Oct 1915 with l to r: John Ackland, Mr. James Herron, Mrs. J. Herron, Miss Mary Herron and Robert Ackland of NY State
​In 1871, the Gillies sold their land and home to John Herron. The settlement known until then as Gillies’ Mills became known as Herron Mills
Picture
river view of Herron home with mill at the side
​The Herrons enlarged the home and operated a post office from it.
Picture
close up view of Herron home
Picture
the mill situated on the bank of the river on the Herron Mills property
Picture
mill at Herron Mills
Picture
inside view of a mill at Herron Mills
Picture
large cog wheel in mill at Herron Mills
Picture
Robert Ackland beside the carding machine in the carding mill at Herron Mills
Picture
diagram of mill locations at Herron Mills
Picture
Gillies tombstone preserved in the Pioneer Cemetery in Middleville
Picture
There were other buildings at Herron Mills, as well. There was a tannery operated  between the Herron house and barn. There were houses built where mill managers lived.  A log school was built on the east side of Concession 3 and opened in 1846. The school, SS # 5, is now a private dwelling. The history of the school can be found the Museum in the school histories display. 
The Museum has a display that focuses on Herron Mills with many photographs and chronicles of its history. Be sure to have a look at it when you visit. 
0 Comments



Leave a Reply.

    Author

    This journal is written, researched, and maintained by the volunteers of the Middleville Museum.
    ​
    (Note: On this page you will find posts previously found on the museum's blog (no longer in use):
    http://middlevillemuseum.blogspot.com/)

Subscribe to our newsletter!

* indicates required

Weebly

  • Home
  • Collection
  • Genealogy
  • Events
  • Event Photo Gallery
  • Kid's Corner
  • Journal
  • Educational Resources
  • Donate
  • Volunteering
  • Related Links
  • Contact Us
  • Merchandise