Records of an inaugural meeting in 1854 referred to the 'Council of Lanark Township' for the first time. After the incorporation of the Village of Lanark as a separate municipality in 1862, the government of Lanark Township was seated in the central location of Middleville. The council met in the newly constructed Middleville stone schoolhouse from the middle of 1862 to the end of 1863.
During 1863, a small building known locally as the 'Mechanic’s Institute' was purchased and plans for renovations were detailed. This log building was situated in the area of the present day Fire Hall. It served as the Township Hall until the current one was opened.
In early 1899, a deal to purchase land from Rachel Lawson involved negotiations for a land swap giving her land on the other side of her property and a new Township Hall was built on its current site. It was completed and opened later that year.
By-law No. 167 was registered in February of 1899 to provide for the sum of $1200 being raised for the construction of the new township hall. The councillors at the time were John Ryan, James Matthie, James Affleck and Alexander B. Yuill.
William Rankin had the contract to 'fit up and finish' the new hall. The following description of the features of the LanarkTownship Hall indicate how it was designed at the time it was first built. This description is taken from the writing of Agnes Yuill as compiled by N. Tyres for a booklet publication in 1984.
The length of the Hall was increased by the depth of the platform and later a kitchen was added in the basement underneath the platform. The kitchen was equipped with a wood stove, shelves to hold food and tables to create a work space. These were considered modern accomplishments in their time.
The Middleville and District Museum has many original documents that bear witness to the history of the village. The Lanark Township Hall certainly has a place in that history.
This journal is written, researched, and maintained by the volunteers of the Middleville Museum.