Local Churches Hold Much History
The fall of 2020 brought about a change for the village of Hopetown, Ontario. The church that had stood on the crest of the hill since October of 1899 was sold. St. John’s Church, as it was known in it’s early days, was a brick structure built across the road from the Hopetown Cemetery where an original log church stood. In 1925, when the United Church was formed, Hopetown Church became known as Trinity Church. The Middleville Museum was able to acquire many beautiful artifacts from the Hopetown Church before it passed to new ownership. This sparked the genesis of an expanded Churches Exhibit at the Museum. The Hopetown Church organ, originally purchased for $150 raised by the girls of the congregation, joins the Middleville Church organ and many other items from area churches in the exhibit. The Museum’s collection holds items from Middleville, Hopetown, Clayton, Watson’s Corners, Rosetta and Tatlock. Congregational, Methodist, Presbyterian, United, Catholic and Baptist denominations are represented through information and photographs in the Exhibit.
Leave a Reply.
This journal is written, researched, and maintained by the volunteers of the Middleville Museum.